Tired of wasting water and money to achieve a lush lawn and garden? Maybe you should try Xeriscape — using creative landscaping to conserve water.
Xeriscape is a combination of seven common-sense gardening principles that save water while creating a lush and colorful landscape:
- Plan and design for water conservation and beauty.
- Create turf areas of manageable sizes and grasses.
- Select low-water plants.
- Use soil amendments, such as compost or manure.
- Use mulches to reduce evaporation and keep soil cool.
- Irrigate efficiently.
- Maintain the landscape properly.
Originally developed in Colorado for drought-afflicted areas, Xeriscape is now used across the country in efforts to be more environmentally conscious. The practice offers many benefits:
- Saves water – Reduces landscape water use by 60 percent or more.
- Improves property value – Can increase property value by as much as 15 percent.
- Less maintenance – Aside from occasional pruning and weeding, maintenance is minimal.
- No fertilizers or pesticides – Using plants native to your area will eliminate the need for chemical supplements.